<VV> Corvair Fuel Mileage

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Apr 21 23:35:24 EDT 2011

At 08:02 PM 4/21/2011, BBRT wrote:
>Well,
>
>I think you can do it IF you are willing to weld up a new cluster gear to
>mate with the overdrive gear in the fourth gear postion. This presumes you
>can find the correct pair from a big car transmission. This may also require
>some mods to the input or clutch gear. This process is similar to making a
>Yenko Close Ratio or Double Close Ratio gear set.
>
>I would guess the best way would be to start with a set of three speed gears
>and cluster and change only one gear. I don't recall if reverse gear is in
>the same place (as a 4-spd) but I think it is. Howaever, you could chooose
>whatever gears you want in pairs, of course, to get the ratios you would
>like.
>
>Can it be done? Yes, I think so.

Yes it can.   Chrysler already did it three decades ago with the
A833OD 4-speed gearbox.    What you end up with is a std 4-speed
that's been converted into a 3-speed with an overdrive... with "3rd"
gear being 1-1 and "4th" being overdriven.   You might be able to
mix-match parts from 3/4-speed Saginaw gearboxes to pull this off,
but there's gonna be welding and cutting and rehardening of some
gears.   Shift forks and linkage might prove daunting unless you
wanna put up with a funny shift pattern.   Chrysler made theirs work
by flipping upside-down the shifter link/rod lever on the 3/4 speed
fork shaft so the shift pattern remained correct.   A 'Vair gearbox
might not be so easy.

Cubic money could make it happen...

tony..