<VV> 1963 Convertible top problem

Kerry Born grandpacorvair at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 08:05:52 EDT 2011

Hi Guys,

With Spring approaching (in SOME places anyways) I need to address my convertible top issue.

The problem is with the hydraulic motor. It will lower the top, but can't raise it without assistance and makes unhappy sounds trying.

I guess I need to either replace it, or try to rebuild it using parts from Clarks (a far cheaper way to go.)

Has anyone had any experience with either way? If I have to replace the motor how do you bleed the system?  I have the service manual but can't quite wrap my mind around the procedure. Plus dealing with the brake fluid is giving me nightmares...

Kerry.