<VV> Fuel Pump Issues

Byron Comp byron.comp at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 09:05:25 EDT 2011

I've encountered a similar problem now on my '64 restomod. Thanks to the help of a fellow VV-er, my engine is no longer headless and I'm ready to try firing it up again. But the new glass in-line filter shows no fuel in it and the engine won't run from what sounds like a lack of fuel. I replaced what I thought was my known-good mechanical pump (it was working when I began this repair saga) with one off my '63 parts car, but no-go with that one either. I've tried pouring a couple teaspoons of gas directly down the gullet of both carbs and then cranking it, but all I get from that is flooding followed by a couple backfires and right back to dry grinding. I plan to get my wife to go along to the shop tomorrow to turn the key while I drizzle in some gas, put that's not the real issue, is it? How can I tell if my fuel pup has quit? I've disconnected the fuel line just ahead of the glass filter (just inside the engine bay) and have a hose running into a 2 gal.
 fuel can sitting on top of the back convertible deck; so I'm sure it's not a plugged line from the tank or the tank itself. What else can I look for?