<VV> Fuel Pump Issues-WARNING

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Apr 24 11:14:55 EDT 2011

At 10:11 AM 4/24/2011, Frank DuVal wrote:
>WARNING!!!!
>
>If you get a backfire when you dripped gas into the carb and then
>cranked it, what you get when dripping gas into the carb while cranking
>is A BALL OF FIRE! The gas can you are dripping from will be on FIRE!

This is why, when I feel the need to "prime the pump" (figure of
speech, NOT actually priming the fuel pump but getting the engine to
actually do something so it will suck fuel from the tank) I do NOT
just dribble gas from a can into the carbs.

That's asking for an interesting experience.

I always use a can of carb cleaner, squirt a stream left and right
back and forth to convince the engine to spin up, if only for a
couple of seconds or so to get the fuel pump working... otherwise you
could be 5 minutes cranking on it to get a dry pump to finally begin
picking up gas from the tank.

A backfire from a carb won't leave you with a flaming arm (among
other things) if you squirt carb cleaner in the carbs, and YES the
engine WILL run on carb cleaner.   I like the Auto Zone brand...
works better than what you see at Advance, although Gum-Out works
well too, albeit more expensive.

tony..

PS:   when you do this, NEVER EVER crank with the throttle wide open,
NEVER.  I mean it. The engine WILL backfire, every single time, and
if there's any flammables slopped into anything it's gonna
burn.   Don't do it.   Ever.