<VV> Fuel Pump issues

PETER INMAN monza1965 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 20:30:37 EDT 2011

The flow rate in a pop bottle, about two seconds or less per ounce. Twenty
seconds over half full in a 20 oz. bottle. Pump working ok but still not seeing
much in the filter. Who cares if you see gas as long as its there.  I checked
the point gap and I had it set to .015 trying to get the dwell closer to specs.
Well I reset the point gap to .025 and took it for a test drive. It was the
difference between night and day. Runs well and will do the longer pulls that it
started missing at before. I feel stupid because I had this issue with the Monza
last spring after a ign tune up. I tried to set the points with dwell meter and
it always checked low with a larger gap so I set the gap closer to bring the
dwell up. Never ran that super but when I opened the gap ran great. From now on
I wont even worry about the dwell and just set the point gap between .020 and
.025. The whole thing centers around being convinced if I couldnt see gas in the
filter that I must have a fuel shortage. If I forget this lesson again I got a
problem and dont suppose any of you will be able to help me. Thanks for all the
suggestions, ignition or fuel pumping rate.

Pete Inman
65 Monza 110 Coupe  4 speed
61 Rampside 80  3 speed