<VV> About this head stud stuff

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 00:05:38 EDT 2011

All this great advise for generic stud pulls, and very little, it seems,
that pertains to Karl's stud problem -- one needs to actually look at
that mess he took apart -- a fine picture of the "stud" and insert are
here, one picture being worth a whole lotta VV verbiage:
     http://www.chezhawk.com/VairBlog/?attachment_id=496
The pic should also answer some questions about why it failed, etc.

A fine verbal description is in the blog he referenced.  Visually, it
looks like the stud hole was already tapped at a half inch, and about
the only advise that seems realistic is to weld it up and start over
with a new Corvair stud, or use his other block if it is also a 164.

I'd have posted earlier, but corvair.org stopped talking to
earthlink.net, or visa versa, but our great list administrators seem
(hopefully) to have fixed the problem.

A crisp new $3 bill to the first guy to submit one of those 3/8 - 18 dies.

Testing,

Bill Strickland
Oregon City, OR