<VV> OLD Time Tuners

rbuckridge at comcast.net rbuckridge at comcast.net
Thu Aug 4 14:32:08 EDT 2011

I think one of the reasons old tuners got so good at tuning their cars was they simply didn't have the money to buy the tools we have today. No garage, no timing lights, no dwell meter. no air compressor, so no air tools.

My Uncle Mike was one of the old time tuners. All he used was a feeler gauge and a vacuum gauge.

I remember stopping by his house and saw him tuning his '59 Chevy Impala out in the street. As I joined him at his side, I noticed his coffee cup resting on the air cleaner, which was his usual practice. I asked him what he was doing. He replied, "it's not running right."

I looked at his half full cup of coffee, looked at the fan going around, and said "hmmmm" as I joined him in thought. "Hear that noise?" he said. No, I didn't hear the noise, but that was common between us. For an old man who was already losing his hearing, he "heard" things I couldn't hear. As he leaned on the fender, I suspect he simply felt the vibrations of the engine more than most. But, he would do the same thing while driving any car or riding in my '63 Monza.

Uncle Mike really loved the air cooled engine and owned a few VW Bugs and a van . When the late model Corvairs came out he got a four door and later a blue convertible with a white top.

Uncle Mike never let me down. No matter what mess I got myself into, he was always there to help.

Roy in Bayville 08721