<VV> Convention Banquet Tickets

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Wed Aug 10 12:40:59 EDT 2011

Carl wrote:

 > I had paid for the Awards Banquet at the time of registering and was
looking forward to 'planting' my small Australian flag on the dinner
table. On approaching the entry door I was asked very firmly for a
banquet ticket that I was never provided. My appeals that I had paid for
the Banquet where responded to with the comment "not my problem, no
ticket no entry". <

I now respond:

It is of course unfortunate that this happened.  Having not attended the
Denver event I cannot say with any certainty why this occurred, whether
Carl was inadvertently not given a physical ticket or whether Carl
missed the "banquet table assignments" listed on the schedule.  But it
does appear to have been handled in a less-than diplomatic manner.

Before I go further, a little background:

Over 30 years ago, you bought your banquet ticket and went to the
banquet.  Trouble was, with several hundred people attending the banquet
and wishing to sit with their friends, when the doors opened to the
banquet room there was an "Oklahoma land rush" to grab tables and save
seats.  It was bordering on becoming an ugly mess.

So Hal Marcus, at the time CORSA's hired executive, came up with the
idea of the "banquet ticket exchange," whereby once at the convention
you traded the ticket you received at registration for a new one, with
an assigned seat.  This has evolved into today's "banquet table
assignments," which is essentially the same thing although in a slightly
streamlined fashion.

Generally, it has worked well which is why it is still used.

But I want to ask the group's opinion of something:

For 2012, in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, a trial balloon has been floated
about a different way of handling banquet seating.  The idea is to
further simplify the process and to encourage members to meet and mingle
with new people.  The proposal is, assign the banquet seats as the
tickets are ordered, period.  You will be seated at a table with other
members based solely on the randomness of when you and those other
members' registrations were processed.

Of course, spouses will remain together as will families registering as
one.  But that's all.  The expectation is that this will be easier for
the organizers and a great way for attendees to sit not with their
friends from home but with potential new friends from all around the
country if not the world.

In your opinion, is this idea inspired or insipid?

--Bob Marlow