<VV> Convention Banquet Tickets

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Wed Aug 10 14:55:38 EDT 2011

> Subject: <VV> Convention Banquet Tickets
> Carl wrote:
>
> But I want to ask the group's opinion of something:
>
> For 2012, in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, a trial balloon has been floated
> about a different way of handling banquet seating.  The idea is to
> further simplify the process and to encourage members to meet and mingle
> with new people.  The proposal is, assign the banquet seats as the
> tickets are ordered, period.  You will be seated at a table with other
> members based solely on the randomness of when you and those other
> members' registrations were processed.
>
> Of course, spouses will remain together as will families registering as
> one.  But that's all.  The expectation is that this will be easier for
> the organizers and a great way for attendees to sit not with their
> friends from home but with potential new friends from all around the
> country if not the world.
>
> In your opinion, is this idea inspired or insipid?
>
> --Bob Marlow

Going back to my "first" convention.
I was the only one from the NFCC in attendance, so I really didn't have anyone to sit with.
And no-one explained the assignment deal to me, so I sat where available.
Worked fine for me.

But later, when others from our "group" came, the assignment's deal became a pain in the behind.
See, it was not geared for those who partake in all the events as I did for a few years as it started while events were in session, so you were at the mercy of whatever was left anyways.

Sure, let the chips fall where they may, or at least the seat assignments.
And that will free up some of the volunteers for other more important matters.

Gary Swiatowy