<VV> starting problems

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Aug 10 16:52:05 EDT 2011

In a message dated 8/10/2011 10:10:32 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
edmonds01 at bresnan.net writes:

My '63  Monza 900 'vert has developed a problem which I've been unable to
diagnose. When attempting to start the engine it begins firing as though
starting but as soon as I let off the key it dies.  If I continue
holding the key in start position the engine will rev up but as soon as
I release the key it dies.
I've checked the fuel pump and it seems to  be working o.k. and I've also
checked the ignition and found  nothing.  I have a suspision it is in the
electrical system but have  run out of ideas.
Any suggestions would be greatly  appreciated.
Clyde

Clyde - the easiest way to test whether it is the resistance circuit is to
bypass it. Take a 5 foot long wire and jumper to the coil from the Positive
 battery terminal. (hook it to the side of the coil OPPOSITE that of the
distributor wire) Then get in and start the car. If it cranks and starts, you
 have a coil wire power problem. (By the way, turning off the key at  this
point will not shut down the car, be prepared!)  The  problem might be in
the resistance wire, or anywhere in the ignition feed  system from the
ignition switch to the coil. But if it starts with the jumped  power to the coil,
you don't have a fuel problem.

- Seth

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
San Jose, CA