<VV> Generator

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Aug 11 08:33:23 EDT 2011

Point of common knowledge error:

A voltage regulator knows only the polarity is it built with. One cannot
change it in the field.

A generator can be polarized in the field. In fact it is the field coils
that  get "polarized" so the residual magnetism will begin to produce
current in the right polarity for the car's electrical system.

Yes, for convenience, polarizing the generator takes place at the
terminals of the voltage regulator, so the common misconception is one
polarizes the regulator.

Now that I got that off my chest.... Being an EE makes me sensitive to
incorrect electrical black magic. One should always use correct black
magic when dealing with electrons.

Take a heavy gage wire, say 14 to 10, or whatever you have laying around
about a foot long, and briefly (Key OFF) touch both the BAT and GEN
terminals. There will be a spark, and if you leave it connected for more
than a few seconds, it may get hot.

This is covered in the 61 shop manual page 8-16 item #6 first column.
Even the correct "polarize the generator" term. I'm sure the 60 manual
also has the info.

For those that wonder why you are connecting 12 volts to the armature
terminal to apply power to the field coils, the field coil is grounded
through the closed voltage regulator contact (since the key is off) and
the 12 volts you apply to the armature terminal is connected internally
to the field coils in the generator. Way more than you asked for...

Frank DuVal