<VV> Electrical Issue

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 16 00:50:15 EDT 2011

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 17:55:55 -0400
> From: "Jason Cesana" <jacesana1 at cox.net>
> Subject: <VV> Electrical Issue
> To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
> Hey gang. I have a little problem with my 60 that has stumped me. I replaced
> the generator last week. After polarizing it I drove it around for a few
> days with no issues. Gen/Fan light went out so I figured all is well. Well
> Saturday night after leaving a wedding rehearsal the car quit. Lights went
> dim then stalled. After stumbling around for a flashlight my brother in law
> found the block ground strap was off and dangling. I figure it might have
> touched the positive on the coil. Well I reattached it to the block screw on
> the coil bracket, car started right up and we drove 45 minutes home with no
> issues. When we got home from the wedding Sunday I went to start up the car
> to move it to its usual parking spot. I opened the door, had the interior
> dome light cam on, went to start the car and turned over for a split second
> then nothing. No lights no nothing. I checked the ground again and it is
> tight. Any thoughts?
>

> Jason Cesana
>
> CORSA Vice President
>
> Eastern Director
>
> Bay State Corvair Club
>
> 1960 Caveman Corvairs
>
> Dirigo Corvairs
    Jason- I would be willing to bet that the eight pin(?) connector in the engine compartment has gone bad- the bighot wire in that connector is probably corroded. I had that connection fail on my early, and the symptoms sound identical-sudden loss of electrical power everywhere. The wiring harness in my car was only ten years old!!Kevin Nash, 1963 Spyder, daily driver