<VV> parts change-ability

Ray Fuenzalida ray_pilot at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 14:05:50 EDT 2011

Hello Corvair Gurus,
Just seeking some advice.
Picked up a Rampside.  She had been sitting in water so the whole bottom has problems.
First problem is that the wheels are badly rusted and locked up.  Will not turn at all.  had to drag it onto and off of the trailer.  Currently on jack stands.  have been beating on the drums with a sledge and the front wheels are now somewhat loose.  I should be able to get them off.  of course bearings and everything else is rusted through.  I know the drums from a late 60's chevy will fit.  My question is can I just remove the whole assembly from a junkyard donor car (not Corvair) and have it bolt on to the Rampside.  I could take off the upper and lower ball joints and steering from the front wheel assembly  If there were one I could get from another vehicle.
Is that possible?  Any recommendations as to cars to look for to get parts from?  What about the rear wheels?  Will the Chevy assembly just bolt on?
I know I can go measure everything but I thought it would be faster to just ask.  Thanks.

That's just step one.  Lots more to go.

Ray
New Orleans