<VV> Tailgates

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Sun Aug 21 16:43:25 EDT 2011

All:  There was article in some magazine I then read many years ago about
the tailgate up or down.  The mileage improvement was there, but the also
instrumented the underbody air flow and pressures.  Found the tailgate down
produced a fair amount of aero-lift at the rear of the truck.  Someplace
where I think most of us think you don't want aero lift.

There are better solutions.  Cheap one: when I had a '03 GMC Sonoma (SLS,
V-6, 5-sp, ZQ8 suspension, extended cab, red) I cut down a 4x8 piece of ply
wood to fit the bed liner.  It was angled low into the front bottom of the
bed, cutouts for wheel wells and rested on the edge of the tail gate.  I got
about 2 more mpg at 70mph with it.  In the winter, watching the snow swirl
was a visual lesson in my truck's aerodynamics.

Historically Yours,
			James Rice

Message: 2