<VV> '64 FC Engine identification

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Mon Aug 22 00:46:25 EDT 2011

At 10:14 8/21/2011 -0400, Timothy Shortle wrote:

 >>snip<<

>  So I guess my questions are:
>1. How can 1 ensure they have a 164 inch engine without removing the
>crankcase cover?

The only way to be absolutely sure is to remove the cover. However, since
the engine appears to be original to a 1964 vehicle and has a date code
compatible with the VIN number, it is a pretty sure bet that it is 164
cu-in. I understand also that 1964 was the first year for the 12 plate oil
cooler, which would be additional evidence.

>2. Were the belt guides installed sometime during the model year?

This seems to be the situation with your engine.

>3. Were the cooler side covers originally on the '64 FC (or were they
>added later for A/C, smog, or turbos?

Based on direct observation, our '65 Greenbrier did not have side covers on
the oil cooler and there was no evidence of them being installed at the
factory and later discarded.  I think that the side covers were added as
part of the later AIR equipped engines.  I have, however, installed said
covers to our rig.

>4. Did the factory not realize the issue with the rear engine bracket for
>engines with harmonic balancers?

Maybe not.

>Thanks for any help with my curiosity.

My pleasure.