<VV> PCV free advice

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Tue Aug 23 23:56:33 EDT 2011

Original messages
----- Original Message -----
F rom: Bryan Blackwell <bryan at skiblack.com>
To: Grant Young <gyoungwolf at earthlink.net>
Cc: "virtualvairs at corvair.org" <virtualvairs at corvair.org>, don
mitchell <dcmitchell911 at yahoo.com>
I've read that a PCV system can slightly improve ring sealing by reducing the crankcase pressure, but the primary benefit is emissions. One other minor consideration is that it isn't correct - if the current owner cares at all about resale value, it would be on my list of negotiating points to work the price down.

--Bryan

On Aug 20, 2011, at 4:48 AM, Grant Young wrote:

> I am working on a 1965 Corsa with a 140HP, 4-speed engine and discovered that a PO has removed the stock vent pipe from the top cover to the shroud and replaced it with a early "road tube". I am wondering if there is any mechanical disadvantage to this. I have the parts to put it back to stock to feed to the air cleaner and balance tube (with PCV orifice). I don't see how it might affect engine performance, but would like some advice, to be sure.

A well done PCV can also enhance street engine life by more effectively clearing foul corrosive vapors and moisture from the entire crankcase, rocker cover, etc system. Details like pulling fresh air into one rocker cover of a V engine, and pulling the bad air out the other can prevent stagnant pockets. Badly done ones contribute to internet accusations of "sludging" and even class action suits.

Dan T