<VV> EM Horn

Byron Comp byron.comp at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 16:44:27 EDT 2011

Hi All,

My body/paint guy did a great job of filling cracks in the steering wheel on my '64 Vert and then painted it the same color as the body - diamond white. Looks great! However, there was an unusual amount of slop or play around the top of the shaft just below the lower rim of the steering wheel when I got it back, plus the horn was apt to sound off just about anytime you moved the wheel very rapidly. So I took things apart and discovered there was no spring in the top portion of the shaft housing like there was on the '63 parts car I had just disassembled. I put that spring down in and reassembled it; felt much better - but no horn. Took apart again and this time the brass washer attached to a plastic fitting with the wire embedded in it pulled all the way out of the shaft housing and revealed a bare wire about 1/4 inch from the end of the wire, which was about 5 inches long overall. I looked down the housing but didn't see any other wires it may have
 parted from or a fitting it may have pulled out of. There is also no wire exiting the bottom of the shaft running to the horn. So, how was that wire doing its job? Did the bare end just make contact with the inside of the shaft housing or is there a fitting/wire down there I need to reconnect to? If that's the case, how do I do that?

Thanks for our help.

Byron Comp
'64 Monza Vert
Gainesville, FL