<VV> Which came first, the lawyers or the Corvair?

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Mon Aug 29 12:37:28 EDT 2011

< I am always intrigued by the good ideas of GM designers that never
got to market. Usually the accountants are the culprits. Next on the list
would
be the lawyers!

The latter has been true for several decades now, thanks in large part to
the Corvair but I don't think it can be said that lawyers had much, if any,
impact on GM's design of the Corvair at least not the earliest Corvairs
like the  Rampside.  Until the mid-sixties GM had a very small number of
attorneys who were in-house counsel and relied upon defense counsel from an
outside insurance company, Royal Globe Insurance, to defend what few lawsuits
they faced.  Once the concept of strict liability in tort was applied by
state courts beginning in California in 1960 things changed, especially after
Royal Globe settled the Pierini case with disastrous p.r. results.  GM then
bulked up their in-house counsel department and began defending the Corvair
 products liability lawsuits themselves rather than rely upon their
insurance  company's counsel.  BTW, if you don't know who Rose Pierini was let me
recommend to you the first chapter of a book entitled "Unsafe At Any  Speed."

~Bill Stanley