<VV> locking gas cap

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Aug 30 14:01:55 EDT 2011

Locksmith, lock pick set. Try all your small keys. Typically they use a B-1
to B-4 key blank, smaller than the B-10,11 on ignition keys, and fewer
tumblers.

There is always the drill, but, running a sparking electric (yes, battery
drills spark also) motor next to a fuel filler is not smart! Neither is a
steel chisel on steel parts.

The safest, besides picikng the lock, is to remove the filler neck and work
on the cap on the workbench (or carry to locksmith). Not easy, I know, but
less likely to blow up in your face. Hose clamps (main fill pipe and vent
pipe) can be accessed on a 67 through the holes in the left wheelhouse to
access steering column parts. Or skinny arms and small sockets. Dropping
the tank a few inches can also help.

Frank DuVal

Keep trying keys, that's why I tell people to not throw keys away.... Ask
friends and neighbors also.