<VV> Problems with a 140 tear down

Bob Gilbert bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca
Tue Aug 30 21:51:17 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm in the process of tearing down a 140 block as a pre-cursor to starting
the 3.1 build for my UltraVan. The block and everything inside and outside
were very, very rusty. Other than making it a tougher job to tear down , I
didn't worry too much about the rust as most of what is rusty will be
replaced or otherwise worked on.

Until now!

I've removed the heads and I am down to the bare crankcase and cylinders
with pistons in them. The bell housing is still attached and is mounted to
my engine stand.

The problem is the crank won't move (possibly even rusted by itself)  and
the pistons are rust-welded to the cylinders! So I can't even get to the all
of the con rod bolts off and split the case.

Any ideas? (besides dynamite!)

Thanks,

Bob