<VV> Electric Corvairs

mark at noakes.com mark at noakes.com
Fri Dec 2 07:25:24 EST 2011

The latest as of yesterday is that Chevy has announced that they are
willing to buy all Volts back until a re-release with a new battery
pack. However, satisfaction level with those that have bought the cars
is above average at this point, so I can't see that happening. While
Chevy was lamenting over not having sold their quota, this might be one
time that that turned out to be a good thing.

My biggest problem with electrics is that the majority of people can't
afford or have the space for an array of vehicles and so have to buy
their vehicles for worst case, not for the average or even typical
day...this appears to get lost in translation of most arguments for
electrics. The common mode here for most people I know that can only
have two vehicles appears to be one pickup truck and one minivan, both
used for commuters. (A fair number of hybrids here but by no means
typical...most are too small for family travel use.) Electrics really
ought to be garaged as well to protect the charging equipment from
vandalism and weather. It appears for now that an electric should be at
least a third vehicle and not even a second vehicle where typical
families are concerned.

My daily mile range is from 0 to 120 miles per day with not infrequent >
350 mile trips where I need to limit transit time to 6 - 8 hours. (The
variation can best be explained by "He travels fastest who travels
alone.") Also for our area we need heavy use of AC or heat which kills
battery range. And then there are the typical weekend tasks that require
a pickup truck. Relatively cheap appropriate electrics won't be in that
ballpark for quite a while. And that's why the sales level for all
varieties is fairly low now.

Mark N