<VV> Chevy Volt

Bruce Johannesson cc_devilbiss at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 3 06:08:49 EST 2011

From: cc_devilbiss at hotmail.com
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: RE: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 83, Issue 7
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 18:47:40 -0500

Bill,

Wow! No offense, but so much of what you have said just isn't true.

1st, the EV1 was an experiment, they were never intended for mass production.  If they were, GM would have sold them outright, instead of leasing them.  The decision to scrap them all was strictly economic.  Maintaining the inventory of spare parts required by law, would have been a more expensive route than just destroying the lot of them.  The only reason anyone even noticed when they were taken out of service was because of the Liberal sensationalization of the situation in the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car".  GM didn't recall the cars.  The cars were always property of GM, and they had the right to rid the world of them.  (In fact, even owning components from the EV1 will subject you to legal action.)

2nd, the Volt is not defective.  The batteries in the car caught fire after severe crash testing.  These tests were purposefully designed to breach the battery, and the cars caught fire weeks after the completion of the test.  At no point did the cars catch fire during the tests!  If the batteries would have been drained post accident, there would have been no fire.  With gasoline powered cars, a breach of the fuel tank will greatly increase the chances of a fire in an accident!

3rd, the United States buys no oil from Iran.  If you want to complain about our oil suppliers don't look East.  Look to the North and to the South.  Canada, Mexico, and Venezuela are 3 of the top 4 suppliers to the US.  Actually a major purchaser of Iranian oil is Japan, which obtains about 10% of its oil from Iran.  Japan is also the #1 manufacture of Hybrid vehicles.

4th, I admire your conviction in your belief in a higher power.  Without that, we would all be lost.

Now, my rant.....

There is no conspiracy at the highest levels of GM (or any other company) to keep gas mileage improving technologies out of the hands of consumers.  The car manufactures spend millions and millions of dollars to improve their mileage by 0.1 miles per gallon.
If there is a way to improve gas mileage the manufactures will implement it an run with it!  Why? Because for every fuel efficient car they sell that raises their CAFE score, they can sell one more high profit, gas guzzling SUV that lowers it!

GM is so worried about a black eye on the Volt, that they are bending over backward to appease anyone that has any concerns with it.  Conspiracy theorists will always suspect ulterior motives.  The simple truth is that inaction would result in too much negative publicity.  Remember the "sitting on the hands" response that Toyota gave with the unintended acceleration issue?  Toyota still hasn't recovered!  GM would be foolish to follow in their footsteps on such an important program.

The automobile manufactures are 100% committed to making Hybrids.  You can see it in their investments in new plants and in Hybrid R&D.  Hybrids may not be the only solution in the future, but they will play an important part.  Plus they'll save gas for our classic cars!

Now, if I could only finish my '66 coupe, we could trade pictures instead of jabs!

Seriously, Best Regards!

CC