<VV> Turbo Distributor Answers

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Dec 6 00:55:35 EST 2011

In a message dated 12/5/2011 3:21:45 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
cc_devilbiss at hotmail.com writes:

Is it  possible to convert the 110 distributor to one suitable for a turbo
by  swapping the cam, weights, springs, and canister?  (I'm guessing about
$175 to buy these parts from Clark's) The current distributor is otherwise
in  perfect shape.  If I replace these parts, is there a better combination
than stock?Is there a more cost effective solution rather than buying the
individual components?Does anyone have any experience using some sort of
computer controlled distributor rather than the mechanical ones? (I'm not
above building one myself.)

The better solution is to find a 329 distributor (180 Turbo) complete  and
in rebuildable condition. They are around. The mechanical advance setup is
quite different than the 110HP one you have now. The one you find should
have a  working pressure retard unit on board and the mechanical advance
weights/springs  should be present and freely moving. Check, especially, the pins
that the  weights rotate on. They can come loose from the rotating plate. I
would  change to an electronic unit, a Pertronix 1 or 2 and replace the
bushing inside  the distributor housing. It is a pretty easy rebuild. When you
are done, try to  have the advance curve checked on a distributor machine,
look for an old repair  garage or an old speed shop. The specs are in a number
of books. The Safeguard  is an effective, but pricey option, but has worked
well with turbos on several  folks Corvairs.

Also look for a heavy duty distributor cap, one with brass or copper
terminals, not the cheapy aluminum ones.

Seth Emerson