<VV> Back-Motored Corvette

Joe White jwcorvair at aol.com
Thu Dec 8 09:05:46 EST 2011

Just for fun ...

One of the things that drives the Porsche guys more nuts than a Corvair engine in a 911 shell is a Chevy small block in a 911 shell. Apparently, the entire 911 engine with dry sump oil system weights about 450 lbs. As I understand it, a Chevy iron small block with aluminum heads, sump, and other weight reducing tricks is not much heavier. With a radiator coolant in the front, the V8 911 has the same handling characteristics as a flat 6 911 (massive trailing throttle oversteer at the limit :-)). (Lotsa Chevy V8 Porsche information on the internet.)

I bring this up because I often though that with more development this version of the Corvette would have made a very exciting sports car, and possibly have paved a way for a future V6 or V8 powered Corvair.

Joe White (62 sedan, 66 Porvair)
CORSA, RMC