<VV> 75 years of Chevrolet book

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 00:05:08 EST 2011

Hiya all,

A friend of mine brought over a book titled "75 years of Chevrolet" the
other day after finding it buried among his things.  The book is MUCH more
complete than any of the other history of Chevy books I've seen, it's 535
pages and only goes up to 1986.

Thus far I've only read up through 1962 but the book has quite a bit of
Corvair content.  The author mentions that he is not a fan of the Corvair
himself but so far he hasn't bashed it at all, his comments have been
pretty positive.  Anyway in the 1962 Chapter when he talks about the Spyder
he mentions that in 62 and 63 the Spyder was just an option on the Monza,
but in 1964 it is a separate model (correct).  What caught my attention
here is he says that the 64 Spyder was technically the "600".  I think I
ran across this somewhere before, is it correct?  It seems a very odd
number given the designations of the other models, but I know GM has done
things like that before.

I'm suspicious of that bit of info because it is followed by two other big
errors.  First he says that the Spyder engine had "three barrel Carter
carburetors with turbo-charged induction" when as most of us know it had
just one single-barrel sidedraft carter..  Next he mentions that the 102hp
engine was "required when Powerglide was added" which I know is also
incorrect (Powerglide with base engine option was bumped to 84hp, vs 80hp
if it was a manual trans car).

He also says that the "Loadside" had "swing open doors" instead of the ramp.

It's always interesting to see new misinformation =)  At least his
inaccuracies so far have not been derogatory in any way which is surprising
to me.

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA