<VV> 63 Spyder air cleaners (again)

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 01:43:42 EST 2011

In browsing the internet I have seen the 63 Spyder with both chrome and
black air cleaner several times each but obviously it is very likely that
some would not be original.

I have found that the 1963 Spyder ad "cart before the horse" does depict
the 63' Spyder with a black air cleaner housing.  This could be a
pre-production mock up that is not correct but it does have 63 tail lights,
and I'm fairly sure that it has 63 upholstery and rear air grill.

The 1963 dealer brochure in describing the Spyder options says "The
installation is a joy to behold:  beautiful workmanship; chrome-plated
induction tube, fuel and oil lines and dipstick; single side draft
carburetor; special camshaft and an exhaust-driven turbo-supercharger"
Note that it does not mention the chrome plated air cleaner housing.

Also of note:  The 1964 brochure uses nearly the exact text as above, also
not making mention of a chrome plated air cleaner housing, and even more
strange on page 3 it shows the Spyder engine room and the air cleaner
appears to be black!   The tail lamps in the same photo are 64 style but I
highly doubt the 64' ad photo would have a black air cleaner housing if the
63's were all chrome.  Presumably a 1964 model year promotional photo would
be using rather late 63 parts at the oldest.

I do not find any mention of the change to a chrome air cleaner housing in
any of my Corvair books, including "The Corvair Decade".

Thanks for your continued input,

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA