<VV> early turn signal actuation

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Tue Dec 13 18:14:21 EST 2011

The wire that activates the turn signal switch is just held in place by
spring tension/friction.  You take a needle nose pliers and squeeze the two
clips together and slip the wire into both holes.  When you let go, the
clips try to spring apart and hold the wire in place.  This whole system is
an abomination and adjusting it properly is nearly impossible.  On one of my
FC's I put a choke cable on the plate holding the steering column.  Pull up
until the switch made one direction and push down until it made the other
direction.  Due to slop in the factory parts I could never get the switch to
activate on both ends.  If you adjusted it to turn right it would never work
turning left!  Of course my system didn't self cancel so you had to remember
to center the choke cable every time you turned.  What I should have done is
replace the steering column with a 1964 that had everything inside the upper
end.
Clark Hartzel