<VV> 63 Spyder air cleaner housing, black or chome: data so far

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 21:48:32 EST 2011

For those who are interested:

*So far I've collected data on 8 63' Spyders
*
6 are reported to have black air cleaners-  of these *three* are known to
have come with the black air cleaner for certain.  One of those three is a
photo taken by a member in 1963 of a brand new Spyder that hadn't been sold
yet.  The others are all fairly certain black was original on their car.

2 are reported to have chrome air cleaners-  of these one is known to have
had the chrome air cleaner when it was purchased used approx. 6 months
old.  The other has history only known back to 1974

Backing up the rather solid data that some at least came with black is this
1963 Spyder ad.
http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/Swiftblade13/?action=view&current=63Spyderad.jpg(click
the picture to view it full size)  I have what is supposed to be a
complete collection of the Corvair print ad's, this is the only one
containing an engine photo of a Spyder.  I promise that link is safe I
uploaded it myself to a reputable photo hosting site.  I'm also attempting
to attach the file to this message.

I'd really like some more examples if anyone can provide them.  I'd very
much like info on one with a chrome air cleaner that is 100% known to have
been so equipped when new.

To this I will add; quite a few people who know an awful lot about Corvairs
thought the 63's all came with chrome, so at this point I'm convinced that
the 63 cars (contrary to popular belief) came *both ways*!

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA