<VV> 63 Spyder air cleaner housing, black or chrome: data so far

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:28:03 EST 2011

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 21:48:32 -0500
> From: Ramon Rodriguez III <corvairgrymm at gmail.com>
> Subject: <VV> 63 Spyder air cleaner housing, black or chome: data so
> far
> To: scg-list <scg-list at tiger.skiblack.com>, virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> For those who are interested:
>
> *So far I've collected data on 8 63' Spyders
> *
> 6 are reported to have black air cleaners- of these *three* are known to
> have come with the black air cleaner for certain. One of those three is a
> photo taken by a member in 1963 of a brand new Spyder that hadn't been sold
> yet. The others are all fairly certain black was original on their car.
>

> 2 are reported to have chrome air cleaners- of these one is known to have
> had the chrome air cleaner when it was purchased used approx. 6 months
> old. The other has history only known back to 1974

> Backing up the rather solid data that some at least came with black is this
> 1963 Spyder ad.
> http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/Swiftblade13/?action=view&current=63Spyderad.jpg(click
> the picture to view it full size) I have what is supposed to be a
> complete collection of the Corvair print ad's, this is the only one
> containing an engine photo of a Spyder. I promise that link is safe I
> uploaded it myself to a reputable photo hosting site. I'm also attempting
> to attach the file to this message.
>
> I'd really like some more examples if anyone can provide them. I'd very
> much like info on one with a chrome air cleaner that is 100% known to have
> been so equipped when new.
>
> To this I will add; quite a few people who know an awful lot about Corvairs
> thought the 63's all came with chrome, so at this point I'm convinced that
> the 63 cars (contrary to popular belief) came *both ways*!
>

> --
> Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
> Lake Ariel, PA
> 1966 Corsa 140 coupe (daily driver)
> 1965 Corsa 180 coupe (under construction)
> 1965 Corsa 140 coupe (for sale/under construction)
> 1963 Monza PG coupe (daily driver)
> 1962 Monza PG coupe (under construction)

  Ray- My 63 had a black air cleaner- I purchased it from the original owners with 72,000 miles on it. I had to have it rebuilt before I was able to drive it, and
the guy that did the work ( a very knowlegeable corvair guy!) did not say anything about it not having the "correct" chrome aircleaner. I was under the impression
that all 63's had the black one, switching over to the chrome in '64- the evidence is otherwise! It might be that the chrome aircleaner change-over happened near
the end of the 63 "model year" before the official start of the 64 model year. I'm fairly certain that mine was an "early 63" as it did not have a fuel pressure return
line, and had no provisions for one.
Kevin Nash