<VV> Mag Fan - Changes on the line

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Dec 17 21:05:10 EST 2011

Smitty Says;  As Roy asked, What is stock.   That is  an outstanding
question
and as I related about the mag fan on a 63, I  believe that car was as
built
with the mag fan.

So Seth writes:

In the case of the magnesium fan, there is another facet to this.  The 64
was not intended to have a magnesium fan, it was intended to receive  the new
plastic fan. Reportedly, there were some cars, maybe late  1963s delivered,
at least to dealers, with plastic fans. (There's that  "hearsay" evidence
again!) It was intended to be an ongoing change. The mag fan  was(is) an
exact interchange with the plastic fan. With the motors being  built-up
separately from the cars, what are the chances of an exact match  between car and
engine - especially with the newer part being pretty much  interchangeable
with the old?

On a similar note:

In the mid-1970s, when I worked building the US Army's M113A1 armored
personnel carriers, we had to match any part revision changes to an exact
carrier serial number. Ahead of time, we estimated when it would occur, but we
tracked the actual installations, at least when it made any difference at
all.  But our production rate was nothing like an auto assembly line. Once in a
while,  we would schedule a specific serial number vehicle for a change,
usually when a  bolt-pattern change was involved, or an assembly would not be
interchangeable.

Seth Emerson
San Jose, CA (former home of FMC Corp)