<VV> Research - Black 63 Spyder Aircleaners

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 20:22:27 EST 2011

I also have located (and presented a copy of) a 1963 print ad for the
Corvair that clearly shows the Spyder engine room with a black air cleaner
housing.  That's pretty solid.
Here it is again:
http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/Swiftblade13/?action=view&current=63Spyderad.jpg

I've also spoke with approximately five original owners of 63 Spyders who
say they were black.  Of course, I can prove neither that they were
original owners, nor that their memory is correct.  Still it's pretty
compelling evidence especially given that not one person has contacted me
and stated that they were the original owner of a 63 Spyder with a chrome
air cleaner, while seven did exactly that and reported black.

Thank you very much to all those who showed your support of my inquiries,
as well as those who participated in my survey.  I am learning all I can
about the Corvair, including it's history, so that I might carry the torch
for the next generation.  I have read "The Corvair Decade", "Corvair by
Chevrolet: Experimental and Production cars", "Corvair: A photo history",
and others cover to cover (most numerous times).  I've started collecting
issues of 60's magazines that have feature articles on the Corvair
(including the Car Life reprint from Clark's), and I have just obtained
copies of "The Classic Corvair" and Charlie "Bud" Doerge's new book "Don
Yenko and the Yenko Stinger" and I even have a copy of "Unsafe at Any Speed
that is older than I am.   I have listened to Ralphie's speech at the 1991
CORSA convention in it's entirety.  I have read the Robert Benzinger speech
from the 1975 convention.  I love to relate his story about the Corvair
flywheel to my fellow hobbyists.  My next purchase (when I can afford it)
will be "Corvair Secrets".  I can identify the year of any Corvair (Car,
not yet FC's) given that all it's features are original, and I'm slowly
learning more and more about how the cars are put together and how to
repair them.  I also own copies of "How to Hotrod Corvair Engines", "How to
Keep your Corvair Alive", the CORSA tech guide 1 & 2, "Corvair Basics",
1961 through 1963 and 65-66 factory shop manuals, and the 1965 assembly
manual.  I have attended the DACC Homecoming the past two years (which is
over 550 miles from home), I managed to attend one day of the Buffalo CORSA
convention and plan to do my best to make it to the 2012 convention.   All
of this and five Corvairs (three projects in the works and two on the road)
on a budget that probably wouldn't pay a "middle class" electric bill.

All of this, at age 31.  I might ask some dumb questions and make plenty of
mistakes.  Some of you might not approve of my fat tires and loud exhaust,
and some might look down on my amateur body and rust repairs, but I
challenge you to find anyone more determined to carry the Corvair hobby
into the next 50 years.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
1966 Corsa 140 coupe (daily driver)
1965 Corsa 180 coupe (under construction)
1965 Corsa 140 coupe (for sale/under construction)
1963 Monza PG coupe (daily driver)
1962 Monza PG coupe (under construction)