<VV> Stock Talk

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Dec 17 23:06:07 EST 2011

At 08:51 PM 12/17/2011, Sethracer at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/17/2011 3:58:55 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>whubbell at verizon.net writes:
>
>We won't  criticize anybody talking stock on the Stock Corvair Group
>website!
>
>Bill Hubbell
>
>True - I am sure that I could go on there looking for a nice stock 1969
>coupe body, that I wanted to gut, strip out, drop in a V8 and build a race
>car out of. Nobody would give it a second thought. <grin>(Hi Bill!)
>
>- Seth Emerson (currently not intending to do anything like  that!)

Some years ago, while digging around Witlow's Parts Yard about 10
miles from town, I spotted the remains of a '69 Monza that had been
cut up for a Crown V8 conversion.   Evidently someone had lost
interest after the fact and the kit hardware had been cut out of the
car.   At first I thought somebody had just cut the floor out of the
car but when I looked a bit closer, there was a trunk "tub" welded
into the engine bay.  A closer look inside the car showed the outline
of a Crown conversion.   The car was a shell, no glass, doors, or
lids.  The rest of the body was actually pretty straight although
rusty, VIN tag was partly there, enough to confirm that it was a '69
but I couldn't see the rest of the run number from the rust, which
was starting to take over much of the sheet metal.

Wish I could have made out the rest of the rusted VIN... at least
we'd have documentation of yet another '69 that is gone.

tony..