<VV> vibration/shimmy?

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Mon Dec 19 22:03:50 EST 2011

I have a problem.  I have an annoying vibration/shimmy I can't track down in my '65.

   Here are the facts: At first, I thought is was the pitman arm bushing.  I replaced the old one as it was definitely about dead.  It stiffened up the steering a bit, but didn't cure the problem.  I then suspected an out of balance or bent wheel.  I got all 4 wheels balanced and none were out of balance much.

    It doesn't feel like its coming from the front wheels as you don't feel anything at the steering wheel.  It seems like its coming from the rear.  I recently  readjusted the front wheel bearings and checked to see that all the U-joints were tight while under there to readjust the brakes.  Everything checked out fine.   However, when doing all this I noticed the inner strut rod bushings were dying a slow death.

Nothing obvious with the shocks.  One last clue is it doesn't seem to start vibrating/shimmying until you've gone over 50+ mph.  As you approach 55 and higher it get worse and stays there until you slow down.

   My thoughts would be possibly a dead or dying shock.  Or, since the rear strut rod bushings are dying, but not dead yet, could they have become "egg" shaped and have enough slop in them to allow the rods to "vibrate" or "shimmy" at speed?

       As this car is, right now, my families only daily driver (a long story)  a ny and all thoughts or suggestions would  be appreciated.

Thanx, ( And Merry Christmas!)

Randy (Cap'n) Hook

'65 4dr monza 110/pg

'63 ragtop 84/pg