<VV> YH Carburetor Rebuild Questions

Bruce Johannesson cc_devilbiss at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 27 14:13:21 EST 2011

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the middle of refreshing a Carter YH carburetor for my '65 turbo engine. The carb. tag number is 4020S and the body number is 0-1769.  It appears to be original to the car, but it has definitely been apart at some point in the past. I have never seen the car run, but when I disassembled the engine, the combustion chambers were really, really sooty.

1.  The fuel bowl didn't have a baffle in it, but all of the diagrams that I have seen show one (part # 18).  There aren't any slots cast into the fuel bowl where it would seem to go.  Should there be one in there?  If I need one, does anyone have one?

2.  The Clark's website lists a pump discharge needle (#8 on the diagram), but it goes on to say that it is only used on carbs where the hole goes to the top gasket surface.  I don't have a needle, but I'm not sure if I need one.  Can someone clarify the difference between the designs?

3.  The bowl cover has what appears to be a check ball on the barrel side of the cover.  It leads to an angled passage.  There are two holes that also interface with this passage.  The ball does not move, and neither passage is open to pressure if I blow through them.   Is it a stuck check valve or some sort of plug?

Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

CC