<VV> Cabin Heater

Wade Lanning wblanning at comcast.net
Wed Dec 28 20:18:07 EST 2011

I've often wondered about building an indirect heat system to replace the existing system that uses engine cooling air to heat a water/antifreeze solution.  The idea would be to blow the engine cooling air across a heat exchanger (such as a large heater core) containing the water, then run the hot water to a heater box under the dash or in the trunk.  The first heat exchanger could possibly be mounted in the rear and could perhaps use a single speed fan to move the air across it.  An electric pump would be needed to circulate the water to the cabin heater core, where another fan would be needed to blow heated air into the cabin.  There would have to be an expansion tank somewhere in the system too.  However all this stuff would probably take up more room than available without making body mods.  A higher capacity charging system might also be needed to run the water pump and extra fan.

However h ere in Virginia I've never had a problem with not having enough hot air.  At  speeds above about 35 mph, I don't use the heater fan.  The engine fan pushes enough air that I have to close off the heat lever to keep from getting too hot once the engine is fully  warmed.  As long as there is no cold air leakage into the cabin the stock system works good for me, but sometimes I would like less engine odors.

Wade