<VV> 50 worst cars of all time? (NO CORVAIR) <grin!>

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Dec 30 01:34:25 EST 2011

At 08:53 PM 12/29/2011, Sethracer at aol.com wrote:
>Yep, Corvair didn't make the list. - Seth
>
>_http://autos.aol.com/photos/50-worst-cars-all-time/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtm
>lws-main-bb%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D123721_
>(<http://autos.aol.com/photos/50-worst-cars-all-time/?icid=maing-grid10|htmlws-main-bb|dl10|sec1_lnk3&pLi>http://autos.aol.com/photos/50-worst-cars-all-time/?icid=maing-grid10|htmlws-main-bb|dl10|sec1_lnk3&pLi
>d=123721)

Hrrmph...

Again, somebody just threw out a bunch of badges and claimed FAIL.  I
disagree with much of it.

The Trooper had NOTHING wrong with it.  Badging it as an Accura
didn't change that.   Another quoted CR claim that shows how stupid
they were-are in complaining because they managed to turn over an
SUV.  Oh BIG surprise there, fellas.  Lemme go tell somebody!

The Pacer?   Oh give it a rest, Sabatini.  Pick on orphans, sure,
just because you can.  Try to buy one cheap now, since they're now
quite collectable.  People treated them like disposable objects, tore
them up then threw them away, then bitched.

Audi 5000?  I knew two people who had these Audis and they both loved
them, seemed almost indestructible, never gave any trouble except
slow starting when it was Zero outside.  (Bosch FI) So Sabatini picks
on it because it got undeserved bad press and this somehow makes the
car "bad"?   What the Hell...??

And Aspens/Volares don't rust any worse than anything else.  Mom had
a Volare for many years and all it ever did was run on and on, not a
flake of rust anywhere, ever.  Old guy close to my house still has
one, paint so faded it's gone in some spots, nicks and dings
everywhere.  NO rust on the car at all.

And the Fiat X1/9?   I'd like to have one.  Really.  They may only
have 60-70 hp but they don't weigh anything at all, and the engines
really wake up with simple mods and a couple of Abarth goodies.  And
try to keep up with one on a twisty road.  Just try.  Those little
squirts are almost perfectly balanced for handling and they corner
like slot cars.   So Sabatini bitched about the 5 mph bumpers...
maybe he shoulda looked at the chrome plated railroad ties hung on
most any other '70s car anywhere that managed to make it to our shores.

What about that Jeep mail carrier?  They lasted forever.  Many are
still tooling around today.  Too simple to have anything go wrong
with it.   A bud had one he paid 100 bucks for and he drove it for a
decade and sold it for 600 bucks then tried to buy it back
later.   Chevy 4-banger power, built like a fire hydrant, and it gets
criticized... yeahright.   C'mon Sabatini, it's a MAIL TRUCK.

Musta been a slow day at the AOL offices.  And, I'd wager he missed
out on Corvairs,Vegas, and Pintos simply because he forgot... or
because it's not fashionable to pick on them anymore these days
because they are developing champions who are quick to jump.  So,
pick easy targets... who's gonna defend an Aspen (except me)?   And,
the quickest fastest car you could buy that was made in this country
in '76 was a Volare-Roadrunner.  It outran the Corvette in 1/4 mile
dragrace tests.

tony..