<VV> The demise of the American Car - Limited Corvair

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 12:46:04 EST 2011

I am happy to hear that there were good experiences with Vegas, but I had a different experience. GM sometimes pushed out new cars that weren't quite fully-baked back in the day, and I think the Vega suffered from that syndrome.

I bought one (my first new car) the first year (1971 model). Special ordered, red GT just like I wanted. Unloaded my 3 Corvairs to get it. By the time it reached 50,000 miles it was using 2 quarts of oil for every fillup of gas. My local dealer made multiple attempts to get it to run right while it was under warranty. I drove it from Raleigh NC to Pensacola FL and averaged 13 MPG! When Chevrolet offered to replace the engine, I took it in. They charged me $225 to remove and replace the head and tell me it "wasn't their problem". If the cylinders had been distorted because of the overheating problem they acknowledged, they would have replaced the engine for free, but they didn't find distortion. I am convinced that mine had scored cylinders because of fuel washing the cylinders because the engine shook so much the carburetor shook apart. I did not find out until years later that they had a "secret recall" for just that problem.

I traded the Vega for a year-old 1975 VW Scirocco with 25,000 miles. When I sold it it had 100,000 miles and was still on the same tires! It was a blast to drive, and the only trouble it gave me was with the air conditioning compressor bracket. Oh, and the brakes failed once just as I was coming to a stop in my parking spot.

-- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on