<VV> Pintos and Corvairs

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Fri Dec 30 21:47:53 EST 2011

Speaking as a person who has a friend who has not one but 3 Pintos.
He loves the cars, yet I don't know why.
He doesn't get my fascination with Corvairs.
I can live with that too.

In 1978, I worked at a Ford dealership of all places.
Pinto recalls for the gas tank issue.
I didn't think they were overly hazardous other than the fact ANY small car, getting hit by a bigger car, or truck.
Is going to lose.
But, I drove plenty of them.
Very un-inspiring.
Corvair was always fun to drive.
Vega..............really want to go there?
I had to work on plenty of them over the years as well.
One time a friend of mine called me as his Vegas caught on fire.
On the phone he told me it had something to do with an exhaust leak.
I went to tow him in with a tow strap and an International Scout.

The number 3 piston was sticking outside of the block.
And the fire happened because of the igniotion of the "open" cylinder setting the oil covered motor on fire.
that car later got a small block 283 installed.

Gary Swiatowy