<VV> 1968 110HP Engine = Crappy Gas Mileage

Tom Hughes corvairdad at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 09:56:43 EST 2011

My daughter's '68 engine has been de-smogged (pump and plumbing removed,
openings plugged). When we first got it back on the road, it only got around
15 mpg in mixed driving. That was with earlier carbs, tune-up, and retarded
timing.

Since then I've rebuilt and reinstalled the stock distributor and stock
carbs, set the timing at 16 deg BTDC, and replaced the fuel hoses. The
compression is good in all cylinders. The engine starts and idles nicely,
pulls well and, *other than a tiny amount of bogging at 65 mph*, cruises
smoothly. However, it still only gets 15 mpg. My other 'vairs get 20 or
better.

Are the '68 smog engines different enough to account for this dramatic drop
in gas mileage? Is there somthing that can be done to smog carbs to improve
things?

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

--
Tom in Baltimore
corvairfleet.blogspot.com