<VV> April 2011 Collectible Automobile magazine

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Wed Feb 2 23:15:34 EST 2011

I participated in the restoration of this car and the original tailights
were missing. Undoubtedly lost, while it rested in the Warhoops junkyard in
Detroit for
30 years, from 1959 until Joe Bortz was finally able to buy it in 1989.
While researching for possible taillights to use, I noticed that the
originals were
very similar to 1960 Corvair taillights, so we ordered two sets of NOS
backup light conversion kits from Clark's and changed the two outer lenses
red ones. So now this famous car has actual Corvair content, too!

This concept car is noteworthy because it is GM's first use of a perimeter
frame, which lowered the roofline to 52 inches, 7 inches lower than a '55
Chevrolet.
This car was the precursor of the production 1964 Chevelle, Cutlass, Le
Mans, and Skylark mid-size cars, 9 years after it's first Motorama showing.

Mel Francis