<VV> Rotisserie

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Thu Feb 3 10:12:33 EST 2011

Luckily, Corvairs are light and balanced.
If you ever plan on using a rotisserie on a larger car, build it stronger, and with adjustable mounts.
A friend of mine built 2 different rotators, one we used in the restoration of my 67 Dodge.
With motor and tranny out, fine except that the rearend put weight balance a little off so care had  to be used when turning to a different position so it didn't get away from you. Got knocked on my behind once or twice.
The one he built had wheels on it to move it in and out of the garage.
My driveway was gravel so we built a railroad out of channel iron for the wheels so they wouldn't sink in. Worked great.
His first rotator had pipe inside pipe, with holes drilled for pins for the rotating part.
His next version had a spindle and brake drum on one end for the rotation. Had brakes, a master cylinder, and a lever to "hold" the car, or slow rotation.

Imagine rebuilding a rear wheel well with the car upside down and at the perfect angle to work on.
It was great!

Gary Swiatowy