<VV> Cylinder assemblies vs Pistons/rings + rebore

moonpie8n at comcast.net moonpie8n at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 22:24:29 EST 2011

  HI  Mark,

           Boat  Racing  is  very  similar  to  the  airplane  stress  you  describe.  The  engine  is  direct  drive . Sealing  the  cylinder  is  everything.  WE  never  get  a  chance  to  check  cylinder  wear, coz  when  the  leak-down  gets  near  90%  the  motor  comes  apart ,...... OR , ...  You  get  a  blast  of  water  from  your  competition ,  and  the  sudden  change  in  cylinder  temp  kills  your  valve  job.  WE  do  make  sure  the  cylinder  is "TRUE"  and  round  [they  don't  always  stay  that  way  in  an  air-cooled  engine]

           The  Corvair  drove  us  crazy , because  it  would  go  like  hell  the  1st  heat  [6800], then  gradually  lose  RPM  until  it  got  down  to  the  basic  torque  curve  of  5600rpm.  The  culprite  ended  up  being  our "TRICK"  exhaust.  The  motor  would  "SING"  on  the  dyno.  Then  we  ran  it [the  1st  heat] , either  won , or  ran  a  close  second  to  the  National  Champion [Record  Holder].  When  the  boat  returned  to  the  pit  the  driver  killed  the  ignition  and  the  hot  pipes  settled  into  the  water. This  made  steam  which  rose  into  the  exhaust  port  and  warped  the  exhaust  valves [MAN!,...  it  took  us  forever  to  figure  that  out].

  Bob