<VV> Fwd: Cylinder assemblies vs Pistons/rings + rebore/How Long Do They Last

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Sun Feb 13 21:23:14 EST 2011

The state of Michigan requires a mileage certificate for all cars that are junked either from accident or just being used up.  When dealing with hundreds to thousands of cars per year, patterns emerge ... some brands regularly run up more miles and some less.  Back in the day when most Corvairs were used for transportation they met their end with nearly as much mileage as the best such as Lincolns and Buicks.  AMCs, Hondas, Toyotas, and Datsuns were well below average mileage so they were not even in the running.

While there is no doubt petrochemistry and metallurgy are the greatest factors in improvements in today's cars, in their day the Corvair was a much better car than it is given credit for today.
Ken P