<VV> Nader at DC convention

Ray Rodriguez III vairguy at echoes.net
Tue Feb 22 04:58:45 EST 2011

Thank you very much for going to all the trouble to post that for us!  I
found the whole thing interesting and appreciated Nader's sense of humor,
but I was a bit disappointed that no one asked him what he thought of the
exoneration of the Corvair, the lack of any rollovers in the (then 21 years)
of CORSA autocross etc.  These points were mentioned in the minutes between
the speech and the Q&A, but not when old Ralphie was at the microphone to
give us a response!

I did notice that Nader focused a lot on the "other" safety shortcomings
rather than just the suspension and supposed rollovers.  While the steering
column issue wasn't really Corvair specific the carbon monoxide issue with
the direct air heat was somewhat legitimate.... though I don't think that it
was likely to be a problem when the cars were fairly new.  I know I myself
keep a carbon monoxide detector in my cars.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
66' Corsa 140 coupe
63' Monza PG (winter driver)
65' Corsa 140 coupe  (under construction)