<VV> Advice needed on throttle shaft repair

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 23:36:10 EST 2011

Charles, generally speaking, the harder shaft will wear instead of the
carb base, but it will wear as well. If you decide that the shafts are
leaking, AKA, use Matt's method, the engine will speed up if it gets
any of the starter fluid past the shafts, I would suggest that you do
both new shafts and the o-ring kits, to get a good seal. After all,
these carbs are 40 something years old. But, I ran the original carbs
220K miles back in the 60's and 70's, so its not a real big issue.

That probbably should do it, if that is where the leak(s) is. Also,
take a look at your spacers under the carb, and the gaskets, they tend
to crack, and make sure the crossover tube is tight with clamps on the
carb nipple and the crossover on both sides, then check for leaks at
the hose for the vent valve. It could be leaking anywhere.

Also, the engine going down in RPM by itself could be just a re
rigging problem. Have  you made sure that both throttles are sitting
on the throttle adjustment screw at the 600 RPM then set up the
linkage from there? Its very easy to lift one or the other when
adjusting. I've done it all, and had the same problems. Good luck.
:):)
Mark Durham