<VV> Get your Oil

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 00:29:05 EST 2011

Everyone; The 10 W 40 might be a better bet. If you have paid any
attention to Richard Widman's oil articles, the Corvair Engine was
designed to flow 30 WT oil.

Richard says: (copied from his article) As an example, the 1960
Corvair Service Manual recommends SAE 10W-30 or SAE 30 for most
operating conditions anticipated. There were no 5W-30 or 0W-30 oils to
recommend in those days, but Chevrolet apparently designed this engine
to run on oil that is between 9.3 cSt and 12.5 cSt in the bearings.
This means that as long as our oil is in that viscosity range at the
100 degree C test, we are minimizing the wear in the engine. When the
oil viscosity is above or below that range the engine will have
additional wear.

Also, you have to think about the ability to flow oil to remove heat.
You put a thicker oil thru the oil cooler it passes less heat due to
less oil flow. You push thicker oil out the push rods to the rockers,
you get less flow, and less lubrication on the drip system out there,
and less cooling so the engine runs hotter all the time. Less oil will
flow through the bearings and splash all over in the case, so it takes
away less heat.

I know people use the oil and never have had a oil related failure.
I'm only reporting how the engine was designed and what GM recommended
for it.  I'm starting my current rebuild on a straight 30 wt oil with
ZDDP added. When it is broke in, it will get a 10 W30 or a 5 W40 full
synthetic with ZDDP added towards the higher end on the cSt scale. I
ran my original Corvair 220K miles on 30 or 10 W30 oil with no oil
related failures back in the 60's and 70's. Higher Viscosity, even in
a full synthetic, is not always better. Regards  Mark Durham