<VV> Gas Tank Rust, Rocks and Rodent Urine

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Wed Feb 23 06:56:03 EST 2011

I find it interesting the many ways folks come up with to fix old gas tanks.
I know, some FC's and 60 models are different.
To my way of thinking peace of mind is important here along with doing the
job once and correctly the first time.
A new gas tank and a can of sealer for the inside and outside comes to
around $226 not including shipping from Clarks.
I replace the tank on all my Corvairs and most others I do work on if it is
proven to be the problem. It is cheap insurance.
I know some folks like to do it as "cheaply" as possible but, you have to
count the sweat equity. Your time is worth something.
In the time it takes to remove a tank, roll rocks, an old chain or a cheap
China socket set around inside an old rusty tank then
slop some coating over whats left and re-install it and always wonder if it
will work I can have the new tank coated and installed
and not have to ever worry about it.
Just my $1.98 worth. Your rust may vary.

Rick Norris
#36 Sunoco Corvair
www.corvairalley.com

 Talk of the rusty gas tank and coating it worries me -- I have had some
very bad experiences with professionally applied interior gas tank sealant
jobs -- happened before I owned it.