<VV> 4 Speed to PG

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Feb 24 07:50:26 EST 2011

I am known for a couple of sayings ... Coupes are for chickens ... and ... A car that can't shift for itself isn't worth much.  One pretty good '66 Monza Sport Sedan came to me through the junkyard; a $6, 110hp PG beauty.  Originally maroon with a black interior it was repainted tan.  The body was near rust free however, the crossmember had not faired so well and had broken in half.  The car still drove fairly well but was somewhat difficult to steer.  The squealing of the tires on the wheelhouse inners was not pleasing.  I decided to replace the crossmember.

The car had a little over 66K on the odometer and the engine ran like new.  The idle was set low enough to stand still in 'D' without applying the brakes.  Stomping on the throttle brought it to life with a performance at least equal to a LM 140hp.  On trip to the post office after work I found myself stopped at a traffic light in the left lane next to something marked 260Z.  It seemed the best thing to do would be pull ahead and move to the right before I got to the post office driveway.  The light changed and I stomped on the throttle; the 260Z decided to make a race out of it.  NOT A CHANCE!  I was well ahead in plenty of time to get into the driveway.  I parked and went inside.  As I was standing in line someone mentioned my Corvair jacket.  Well, Mr. 260Z!

'That sure is a fast Corvair,' sez he.  'I had a Corvair but it was really slow.'

'Nah, mine is not all that fast, you have just got used to that zero performance piece of Jap junk.'  My turn at the post office window.  He finished his business and left before me.  I saw him, through the window, open the deck lid on my '66.  I can only imagine how disappointed he was when he saw just a plain old, dirty Corvair engine :-)
Ken P