<VV> oil

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Feb 24 21:36:11 EST 2011

One important thing to note about old vs. new API service ratings - the old oils specified a minimum ZDDP content, where the SM specs a max of 800 and a minimum of 600 - half the minimum for SF.  So, if it still says SF on the bottle it's ok, at least in that respect.  I found a nice writeup on this Corvette forum:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/2484100-list-of-flat-tappet-oils.html

Keep in mind that this maximum only applies to certain weights with the starburst, so if you can find documentation that says an SM oil is higher it's believable as long as there's no "Energy Conserving" starburst.

--Bryan