<VV> a different oil conversation

Ray Rodriguez III vairguy at echoes.net
Sat Feb 26 21:56:04 EST 2011

I'll start with the question to avoid the "too long, didn't read" problem.
Is there any easy way to check an engine to see if it has already sustained
significant wear of the cam lobes without taking the engine apart beyond
valve covers and oil pan removal?  I had to replace one lifter about 7,000
miles ago in my engine (with the 280 Isky cam) because the clip had broken
in it and I did not think any break in was necessary for such a small
repair.  Add to this the fact that I had never heard of ZDDP at the time and
you can see where the problem is.

As to the rest:

Excellent replies guys, thank you.  For those who are not sure that the ZDDP
is really necessary after break in I did some internet research and the
short version of what I found is that starting less than 10 years ago newly
rebuilt flat tappet engines (mostly for hot rods and muscle cars) started
suffering a high rate of cam failures.  The cause is probably a combination
of metallurgy and decreased ZDDP in the oils.  Apparently a big part of the
problem came when flat tappet lifter production dropped due to lack of
demand and cheap imports became common.  It was also mentioned that there
were some changes to the metallurgy of cams at around the same time.

In the end nobody knows for sure what primary factor caused the problem, but
it is known that using oils high in ZDDP (and preferably synthetic)
drastically decreases the odds of wiping the cam after the break in is
completed.

The conclusion I draw from this is that the ZDDP is probably a lot more
important to engines built with new parts, particularly hi-po custom builds.
Those with stock engines and original GM cams are far less likely to ever
have a problem and might not concern themselves with the ZDDP issue.